General information

RAF Shinfield Park was located in the north of Shinfield Parish in the Unitary Authority of Wokingham District. 

The camp was the home of RAF Flying Training Command  from 1940 until 1968. It then transferred to the Meteorological Office College from 1971 until 2002. The European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting remains on the site but the rest has been converted to residential housing.

Accessible from the main menu above, there is a photo album of camp buildings and personnel over the years, in no particular order and sent by various people, and also a collection of interesting documents from the camp.

Main MPBW site plan of camp (pdf):   VIEW   DOWNLOAD.

More detailed MPBW sites plan (pdf):  VIEW   DOWNLOAD.

When comparing Google maps of the site before and after the house-building program, a strange, eerie effect can be seen.

Ted Williams has sent a copy of a 1949 publication from the camp called ‘The Gremlin’. It is an invaluable record of the time.

The Shinfield Park Players was a performing group set up soon after the camp was opened in 1940. These are some memories and posters/pamphlets of some of these productions sent in by Gill Baker, the daughter-in-law of Cpl Alfred Baker, who was stationed at SP from 1942-1944.

The only two buildings that now survive from the original camp are the NAAFI Club and the Lodge (part of the old Officer’s Mess).

  • The old NAAFI Club building, due to housing development company needs, was dismantled and re-assembled a few yards down and across the road. This is now the home of the Shinfield Players.
  • The old Officer’s Mess (The Lodge) has now been renovated. The first picture below shows it with the immediate site cleared, about 3 years before the renovation. Pictures two and three below show the renovation completed ... it is now a private house.


Camp commemorative stone

A camp memorial stone has been set up in front of the Lodge. Preparation pics  The Lodge was originally part of the Officer's Mess, but has now been converted to a private residence.

The memorial ceremony was held at 11.00am on Wednesday January 16th, 2013 at the memorial stone. Ceremony pics

Preparations and ceremony 

© Andre Francis 2018